MuSE would like to announce the winners of
4th MuSE Young Composers Competition (2016)
Thank you very much for the submissions! We really enjoyed all the pieces.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE PERFORMANCE FOR THE WINNERS' WORKS WILL BE ON November 19th (Saturday) at 7pm at the Secret Theatre in Long Island City, NY.
It will be within SOUNDS OF ARTS FESTIVAL. Please look under "New Music Collection".
1st Place: Arzu Abbasova
2nd Place: Perrin Davidson
Honorable Mentions: Jerry Liu & Alessandro Bevilaqua
We will be in touch with all of the applicants privately for more details! Thank you!!
SUBMISSION Deadline: Monday, October 17, 2016
Duo or trio works for strings (any combination using any of the followings: 2 violins, 2 violas, 2 cellos. *No doubling, meaning, each player only plays one instrument.) Up to 5 compositions to be selected to be on Winners’ Concert on November 13, 2016 performed by members of the Lucidity Chamberistas in MuSE Sounds of Arts Festival 2016 in Queens, New York.
• Students age of 18 and under (as of the date of submission)
• Any nationality from any country. <Submission Guideline>
• Any style (classical, jazz, pop, etc) accepted.
• Instrumentation: Duo or trio works for any combination of following instruments: 2 violins, 2 violas, 2 cellos (No solo pieces)
• You may submit up to 2 pieces.
• Each piece should be from 2 to 7 minutes in length. (Movement submission from a larger work is also considered.)
• The piece can be written anytime in the past and can have a performance history before.
• No use of techniques that might damage instruments.
• Computer formatted scores are preferred, however, handwritten scores are also accepted. (Please submit electronically as a PDF file please.)
• Please note that legibility might affect the result of the competition.
• All composers will receive comments from the panel after the concert by 12/29/2016.
*Please note that everything (except for music scores) must be written in English. All materials to be submitted via email to email@example.com except for checks which should be mailed to the address on the bottom.
• Application form (Hand-written is fine as long as it is scanned and submitted as a PDF file via email)
• Entry Fee (non-refundable): $40 (US dollar) Please make your check payable to “Multicultural Sonic Evolution” and write memo: “YCC 2016, applicant’s full name”Additional $10 (US dollar) entry fee will be required for the second piece.
• Biography (Tell us about yourself, under 300 words.)
• Headshot (photo of you shoulder and up in JPG format)
• A recommendation letter from your school or private music teacher. Your music teacher does not have to be a composition teacher as long as he or she knows your musical talent. Very brief one is fine.
• A full score in PDF format via email.
• Part scores in PDF files via email.
• Note: Recording (mp3 or MIDI) is welcomed an attachment but not necessary.
• Monday, October 17, 2016 (EMAIL)
• Works of top 5 winners will receive a live performance by the members of Lucidity Chamberistas on November 13, 2016 in Queens, New York.
• Top 5 winners will receive audio recordings of the rehearsal and live performance.
• 2 complimentary tickets to any MuSE future performances.
<Notes For Applicants>
• All applicants are invited to the Winners’ Concert.
• All applicants whom submitted all the required material by the deadline.
<When you are selected as a winner>
• Winners are encouraged to be at the winners’ concert, but not mandatory.
• Each piece (composer) will have about 15 minutes of rehearsal with the performers on the day of the concert. (The pieces will be rehearsed prior to the concert day as well.)
• Winners’ Concert will be recorded (audio and video) and might be streamed online such as on MuSE website and youtube or vimeo.
• MuSE will hold the rights to perform the piece with no monetary obligation in some other MuSEconcerts in the future.
• Composers may make minor changes in the score, however, MuSE has the rights to decide whether the change is possible.
• MuSE Competition Panel will select top 5 winners. The winners will be announced by November 1, 2016 on MuSE website.
ALL MATERIALS (except for the entry fee) should be sent electronically as DOC, PDF or JPG formats to
Please mail (postal service) the Entry Fee to the address below.
Multicultural Sonic Evolution
P.O. Box 3524
ASTORIA NY 11103
Please make Entry Fee (non-refundable) checks payable to Multicultural Sonic Evolution and write “YCC 2016, applicant’s full name” on the memo section.